Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Which of these would be the best touring motorcycle for a relatively new rider?

Looking at buying a touring-friendly motorcycle to go on long rides with my riding buddies. I have been riding for about one and a half years (currently own a Sportster 883) and would like to get something with good performance, but also comfortable enough to take on long rides and fuel capacity to be able to hang with my buddies and their Ultra Glides, RoadKings, VTX, and K1200LT. I am currently interested in the Triumph Rocket III, and newer Harley V-rod (with 5 gal. tank) and 96鈥?SFXTC (softail custom). I like these because of their performance, unique styling, and availability/price on the used market. I have not ridden any of them yet, but hope to rent one that I finally settle on and ride it for a few days before deciding. So which of the above do you think would be a good fit for me?



Which of these would be the best touring motorcycle for a relatively new rider?systemworks



The Triumph Rocket III is a great bike, and they have it set up with all the touring options you need now. It is unique, and I know several people that have them. They are comfortable and reliable. I have owned Hinckley Triumphs now for 10 years and found them to be fantastic. Make sure you have a local dealer that provides good support. The BMW LT would also be an excellent bike for this kind of riding - has a lot more creature comforts than the Rocket. Between these two, it largely depends on whether you appreciate the basics, or are more of a gadget head. For basics, get the Rocket, for gadgets, go with the Beemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment